“Ozone” is a common word these days, especially as it refers to the environment and our planet’s atmosphere. But did you know that this powerful gas also has medical and dental applications? This blog post discusses what ozone therapy is, its uses in dentistry, and some of the benefits you can experience when you visit a dentist who offers it.
What Is Ozone Therapy?
A molecule of ozone contains three oxygen atoms that are bonded together. Because of its structure, we cannot use it to fill our body’s oxygen needs (the oxygen that we breathe in only has two oxygen atoms bonded together). However, it can still support our health and life functions.
Ozone is an incredibly effective way to fight bacteria. When the tissues in the mouth are expose to it, the ozone creates a transient oxidative burst, which kills harmful bacteria. Ozone also improves blood flow, promotes healing after procedures, and supports the body’s immune response in the mouth.
Uses for Ozone Therapy
Holistic dentists may use ozone therapy for a number of different purposes, including:
- Treating gum disease. The primary cause of gum disease is overgrowth of bacteria in the gum tissue, which leads to redness, swelling, and eventually, significant tissue damage. Ozone attacks those harmful bacteria both above and below the gumline, helping to stop the gum disease and giving the mouth an opportunity to start healing itself.
- Root canal therapy. Root canal therapy involves removing infected and damaged tissue from inside a tooth. As part of this treatment, ozone can clean out bacteria from the tooth’s interior and decrease the chances that there will be post-procedural complications or infections.
- Addressing decay. Ozone has the power to prevent small cavities from becoming larger. It also promotes remineralization, meaning that in some cases, it can help patients avoid the need for a filling.
- Other uses. Therapeutic ozone may be used to reduce dental sensitivity, encourage healing after tooth extractions, and lower TMJ disorder pain.
Why Choose a Dentist Who Offers Ozone?
Effective dental treatment is possible without ozone therapy. However, you will enjoy several benefits when you visit a dentist who offers it:
- Your overall treatment experience will be more conservative and more comfortable.
- There is no recovery period after ozone therapy.
- Ozone therapy is safe when properly administered.
- Medical ozone becomes regular oxygen within 30 minutes after being used, so it will not linger in your body for a long time.
Ozone is a remarkable gas that can play a big role in helping you enjoy improved oral and overall health. To learn more about it, get in touch with a holistic dentist who offers it.
Meet the Practice
Dr. Candida Castillo is the leader of our team at Aesthetic Dental Studio of RI. As a holistic dentist in North Providence, she prides herself on offering conservative, high-quality treatment that supports both oral health and overall wellness. She has more than 25 years of experience in the dental field. To learn more about her and how she may be able to serve you, contact our office at 401-232-7777.